Friday, July 01, 2005

Mystery Solved: How to fix the problem where Windows no longer recognizes your removable hard drive

New drive or mapped network drive not available in Windows Explorer

If you cannot seem to find your removeable drive anymore when you connect it to your computer, the article above may have your answer. I know it did for me.

The gist is this: Check out Disk Manager (Right click My Computer and click Manage, then click on the Disk Manager item). If you see your drive there and it doesn't have a letter, then that's your problem. Right click on it and assign it a drive letter and all is well with the world again.

You would think windows could help you out with this problem!

I don't even want to contemplate how many frustrated occasions I have had to experience this problem without knowing that the solution was right under my nose. Argh!

I think this problem is pervasive enough that it deserves a hotfix from Microsoft that percolates through windows update to provide far more effective and obvious warning messages to help the user fix this problem.

-Michael

No comments: